UK looking at energy conservation savings plan

Posted

FRANKFORT, Ky.  (KT)  -  The University of Kentucky sought to continue an energy conservation savings plan during an appearance before the General Assembly’s Government Contract Review Committee on Tuesday.

 

Mary S. Vosevich, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer for UK, testified in support of a contract with Cenergistic, LLC of Dallas, Texas.  It would increase an existing $1 million agreement by another $3 million, which would be paid for by the university.


“This is not replacing equipment or upgrading facilities,” she told lawmakers.  “It’s how we get peak use out of the infrastructure that we have.  It will allow us, as energy costs rise over time, to be able to control the costs, making us a little more efficient and effective in those buildings.”


Committee co-chair, Sen. Max Wise, R-Campbellsville, and a UK Adjunct Professor, told Vosevich, “I just want you to know, every Wednesday at four o’clock, I turn the lights out at the Patterson Office Tower 4th floor, so I’m trying to do my part.” 


Vosevich said UK spends $34 million per year on energy costs and their goal is a 20-25 percent reduction.


When asked for details by Rep. Stan Lee, R-Lexington, on how the contract is on a contingent basis, Vosevich explained, “We split the savings, through a rather complicated formula.  That’s how we pay them, and we retain the rest of that.  For example, in the last year of the contract, we will retain 70 percent of the savings, they will retain the other 30 percent.”


UK entered the original contract on July 1, 2016.  This would extend it through June 30, 2018.


The committee approved the contract revision without objection.  

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions